Education & Training
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellow, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- PhD, Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P.R.CHINA
- BS, Biochemistry, Nanjing University, Nanjing, P.R.CHINA
- Lin H, Tang Y, Lozito TP, Oyster N, Kang RB, Fritch MR, Wang B, Tuan RS. Projection Stereolithographic Fabrication of BMP-2 Gene-activated Matrix for Bone Tissue Engineering. Scientific Reports, 2017, (In press).
- Xue J, Lin H, Bean A, Tang Y, Tan J, Tuan RS, Wang B. One-Step Fabrication of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Gene Activated, Porous Poly-L-Lactide Scaffold for Bone Induction. Molecular Therapy — Methods & Clinical Developments, 2017, (In press).
- Sun AX, Lin H, Fritch MR, Shen H, Alexander PG, DeHart M, Tuan RS, Chondrogenesis of Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells in 3-Dimensional, Photocrosslinked Hydrogel Constructs: Effect of Cell Seeding Density and Material Stiffness. Acta Biomaterialia, 2017, 58,302-11.
- Blair HC, Larrouture QC, Li YN, Lin H, Beer-Stoltz D, Liu L, Tuan RS, Robinson LJ, Schelsinger PH, Nelson DJ. Osteoblast Differentiation and Bone Matrix Formation In Vivo and In Vitro. Tissue Engineering-B, 2017, 23(3): 1-13.
- Yang G, Rothrauff BB, Lin H, Gortardi R, Tuan RS. Tissue engineering-A. Tendon-Derived Extracellular Matrix Enhances TGF-β3 Induced Tenogenic Differentiation of Human Adipose-Derived Stem Cells. Tissue Engineering-A, 2017, 23(3,4): 166-176.
- Yang G, Lin H, Rothrauff BB, Yu S, Tuan RS. Multilayered polycaprolactone/gelatin fiber-hydrogel composite for tendon tissue engineering. Acta Biomaterials, 2016, 15;35:68-76.
- Sun AX, Lin H (co-first author), Beck AM, Kilroy EJ, Tuan RS. Projection Stereolithographic Fabrication of Human Adipose Stem Cell-incorporated Biodegradable Scaffolds for Cartilage Tissue Engineering. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 2015.
- Shimomura K, Bean AC, Lin H, Nakamura N, Tuan R. In vitro Repair of Meniscal Radial Tear Using Aligned Electrospun Nanofibrous Scaffold. Tissue Engineering-A, 2015, 21(13-14):2066-75.
- Lin H, Lozito TP, Alexander PG, Gottardi R, Tuan RS. Stem Cell-based Microphysiological Osteochondral System to Model Tissue Response to Interleukin-1β. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2014, 11(7):2203-12.
- Lin H, Cheng AWM, Alexander P, Bech AM, Tuan RS. Cartilage Tissue Engineering Application of Injectable Gelatin Hydrogel with in situ Visible Light-Activated Gelation Capability in Both Air and Aqueous Solution. Tissue Engineering-A, 2014, 20 (17-18): 2402-11.
- Alexander PG, Gottardi R, Lin H, Lozito TP, Tuan RS. Three-dimensional osteogenic and chondrogenic systems to model osteochondral physiology and degenerative joint diseases. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2014, 239(9):1080-95.
- Lin H, Zhang DN, Alexander P, Yang G, Tan J, Cheng AWM, Tuan RS. The Application of Visible Light-based Projection Stereolithography (VL-PSL) in Live Cell-Scaffold Fabrication with Designed Architecture. Biomaterials, 2013, 34(2):331-9
- Yang G, Rothrauff BB, Lin H, Gottardi R, Alexander PG, Tuan RS. Enhancement of Tenogenic Differentiation of Human Adipose Stem Cells by Tendon-Derived Extracellular Matrix. Biomaterials, 2013, 34 :9295-9306.
- Lozito TP, Alexander PG, Lin H, Gottardi R, Cheng AWM, Tuan RS. Three-dimensional osteochondral microtissue to model pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 2013, 4(Suppl 1):S6.
- Lin H, Yang G, Tan J, Tuan RS. Influence of Decellularized Matrix Derived from Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Their Proliferation, Migration and Multi-lineage Differentiation Potential. Biomaterials, 2012, 33(18):4480-9.
- Shi C, Li Q, Zhao Y, Chen W, Chen B, Xiao Z, Lin H, Nie L, Wang D, Dai J. Stem-cell-capturing collagen scaffold promotes cardiac tissue regeneration. Biomaterials. 2011, 32 : 2508-2515.
- Zhao, Y, Lin H (Co-first author), Zhang J, Chen B, Sun W, Wang X, Zhao W, Xiao Z, and Dai J. Cross-linked three-dimensional demineralized bone matrix for the adipose-derived stromal cell proliferation and differentiation. Tissue Engineering Part A, 2009;15(1):13-21.
- Wang X, Zhao Y, Xiao Z, Chen B, Wei Z, Wang B, Zhang J, Han J, Gao Y, Li L, Zhao H, Zhao W, Lin H, Dai J. Alternative Translation of OCT4 by an Internal Ribosome Entry Site and its Novel Function in Stress Response. Stem Cells, 2009;27(6):1265-75.
- Han Q, Sun W, Lin H, Zhao W, Gao Y, Zhao Y, Chen B, Xiao Z, Hu W, Li Y, Yang B, Dai J. Linear ordered collagen scaffolds loaded with collagen-binding brain-derived neurotrophic factor improve the recovery of spinal cord injury in rats. Tissue Engineering Part A, 2009, 15(10):2927-35.
- Sun W, Sun C, Zhao H, Lin H, Han Q, Wang J, Ma H, Chen B, Xiao Z, Dai J. Improvement of sciatic nerve regeneration using laminin-binding human NGF-beta. 2009, PLoS One, 2009;4(7):e6180.
- Sun W, Sun C, Lin H, Zhao H, Wang J, Ma H, Chen B, Xiao Z, Dai J. The effect of collagen-binding NGF-beta on the promotion of sciatic nerve regeneration in a rat sciatic nerve crush injury model. Biomaterials, 2009;30(27):4649-56.
- Zhang J, Ding L, Zhao Y, Sun W, Chen B, Lin H, Wang X, Zhang L, Xu B, Dai J. Collagen-targeting vascular endothelial growth factor improves cardiac performance after myocardial infarction. Circulation, 2009; 119 (13):1776-84.
- Lin H, Zhao Y, Sun W, Chen B, Zhang J, Zhao W, Xiao Z, and Dai J. The effect of crosslinking heparin to demineralized bone matrix on mechanical strength and specific binding to human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Biomaterials, 2008, 29:1189-1197.
- Lin H, Chen, B, Sun, W, Zhao, W, Zhao, Y, and Dai, J. The effect of collagen-targeting platelet-derived growth factor on cellularization and vascularization of collagen scaffolds. Biomaterials, 2006, 27:5708-5714.
- Sun W, Lin H (Co-first author), Xie H, Chen B, Zhao W, Han Q, Zhao Y, Xiao Z, and Dai J. Collagen membranes loaded with collagen-binding human PDGF-BB accelerate wound healing in a rabbit dermal ischemic ulcer model. Growth Factors, 2007, 25:309-318.
- Chen B, Lin H (Co-first author), Wang J, Zhao Y, Wang B, Zhao W, Sun W, and Dai J. Homogeneous osteogenesis and bone regeneration by demineralized bone matrix loading with collagen-targeting bone morphogenetic protein-2. Biomaterials, 2007, 28:1027-1035.
- Sun W, Lin H (Co-first author), Chen B, Zhao W, Zhao Y, and Dai J. Promotion of peripheral nerve growth by collagen scaffolds loaded with collagen-targeting human nerve growth factor-beta. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 2007, 83:1054-1061.
- Chen B, Lin H (Co-first author), Zhao Y, Wang B, Zhao Y, Liu Y, Liu Z, and Dai J. Activation of demineralized bone matrix by genetically engineered human bone morphogenetic protein-2 with a collagen binding domain derived from von Willebrand factor propolypeptide. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 2007, 80:428-434.
- Lin H, Chen, B, Wang, B, Zhao, Y, Sun, W, and Dai, J. Novel nerve guidance material prepared from bovine aponeurosis. Journal of Biomedical Materials research A, 2006, 79:591-598.
My research interests are to understand the relationship between aging and osteoarthritis (OA), develop medications for OA treatment, as well as restore articular cartilage through regenerative medicine strategy.
- We have pioneered the development a human microphysiological osteochondral tissue to investigate the effect of different risk factors on the initiation and progression of OA. We were recently funded by NIH to engineer a microJoint chip, which is composed with cartilage, bone, fat pad and synovial membrane, to further model joint pathologies and screen candidate treatments.
- We have for the first time applied a visible light based stereolithographic method (VL-PSL,3D printing) to fabricate live cell-laden hydrogel scaffolds with customized geometry and internal architecture for tissue/organ regeneration.
- We have developed an innovative visible light-based photo-crosslinking method to quickly fabricate hydrogel scaffolds in situ, with natural or synthesized biomaterials. Currently, we are testing its application for cartilage repair in rabbits and goats.
- We are also working on the characterization of chondrocyte aging and investigating its contribution to OA onset and progress.
Enhancement of Cartilage Quality through Selectively Killing Senescent Chondrocytes
Project period: 07/01/2017 – 06/30/2018
Sponsor: Pittsburgh Foundation
Tissue Chip Modeling of Synovial Joint Pathologies: Effects of Inflammation and Adipose-Mediated Diabetic Complications
Project period: 07/15-06/30/2019
Regenerative Enhancement of Aged Chondrocytes via Cytoskeletal Modulation
Project period: 9/15/17-04/30/2019
Cholesterol Sensitivity and Mechanisms of MSC Responses to 3D Substrate Rigidity
Project period: 04/01/2015-03/31/2019
Customized Fabrication of Osteochondral Tissue for Articular Joint Surface Repair
Project period: 08/25/2014-02/24/2018
Reversal of Chondrocyte Aging by 3-D Cytoskeletal Reorganization
Project period: 01/01/2016-06/30/2016
Sponsor: NIA-Pittsburgh Pepper Center P30 pilot award