Education & Training
- MD, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
Nelson V, Mares AV “Review and Comments on Dr. Thompson’s Article: “ECG Comparability in High School Athletes to Adolescents with Known HCM,”” Sports Rev J, Sports Cardiology Edition, 2017 Apr; 2(4):16-17.
Shaheen S, Mares AV “Review and Comments on Dr. Drezner’s Article: “Performance of ECG Versus History and Physical Exam as a Screening Tool for Serious Morbidity or Sudden Cardiac Death (SCD) in NCAA Athletes,”” Sports Rev J, Sports Cardiology Edition, 2017 Apr; 2(4):12-13.
Ziegler C, Mares AV “Review and Comments on Dr. Pickham’s Article: "Optimizing QT Interval Measurement for the Preparticipation Screening of Young Athletes,”” Sports Rev J, Sports Cardiology Edition, 2017 Apr; 2(4):6-7.
Zlotnicki J, Mares AV, Musahl V. “Exercise Osteoarthritis: The Effect of Running with Aging in the Master’s Level Athlete.” Endurance Sports Medicine: A Clinical Guide. Ed. Timothy Miller. 1st ed. Springer International, 2016. 183-97. Print.
Wang WL, Mares AV. “Bilateral Epidural Hematoma With Parietal Skull Fracture In A Division I Collegiate Athlete: A Case Report.” Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2016 August 24: 1-12. [Epub ahead of print]
Mares AV., Schreiter R, Van Eck C, Blanc R, Musahl M. “Management of Athletic Turf Toe Using Biologics.” Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2016 June; 26(2): 117-121.
Hagen T and Mares A. “Glenoid Labral Tears/SLAP Lesions.” The 5-Minute Sports Medicine Consult. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
As Co-Head Team Physician of Pitt Football, Associate Medical Director of the Pittsburgh Marathon, and faculty in the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, I enjoy working with the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship, teaching athletic training and medical students, along with the clinical education of several residency programs. Research interests include the management of acute injury in contact sports and overuse injuries in endurance athletes.
1. Faculty - Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship – didactics, clinical rotations,training room
2. Faculty - University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine – Team leader involved inteaching an Integrative Case Studies course
3. Research and clinical interests include management of acute injury in contact sports and overuse injuries in endurance athletes.